When people ask me what their first houseplant should be I almost always say pothos!
Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a beutiful tropical vine plant. It can be grown trailing/hanging or climbing.
There are tons of variety of pothos with different colorations, patterns, and leaf shapes.
More importantly – pothos plants are super easy to care for!
These plants can live in a variety of lighting situations and usually aren’t too picky on watering. Of course, the happier they are, the more they will grow. But, I’ve grown pothos in a windowless office cubicle!
In addition to being easy to grow, pothos plants are super easy to multiply. They propagate easily in water and make a great gift to share or trade with friends.
Let’s dive into everything you need to know about pothos plants!
Types of Pothos plants
There are many varieties of pothos plants. Here are a few in my collection:
- Golden Pothos
- Cebu Blue Pothos
- Baltic Blue Pothos
- Marble Queen Pothos
- Global Green Pothos
- Neon Pothos
Compare some similar pothos varieties side-by-side!
- Cebu Blue Pothos vs Baltic Blue Pothos
- Golden Pothos vs Neon Pothos
- Golden Pothos vs Philodendron Brasil
How to care for Pothos Plants
Pothos plants are super easy to care for. Once you have the basic care down, here’s a few things you might be wondering!
- How to make a pothos moss pole
- Are pothos toxic to cats and dogs?
- Can you grow pothos in water?
- How often to water pothos plants
How to propagate pothos plants
One thing that I really love about pothos plants is how easy they are to root cuttings of! Here are some of my pothos propagation guides!
- How to propagate pothos
- How to propagate golden pothos
- How to propagate satin pothos
- How to propagate global green pothos
- How to propagate baltic blue pothos
- How to propagate neon pothos
- How to propagate marble queen pothos
Pothos propagation troubleshooting
While pothos is easy to propagate, you can hit some snags. Here is some troubleshooting advice, by problem!
- Where to cut pothos for propagation
- Can you propagate a long pothos vine?
- Can you propagate pothos without a leaf?
- Can you propagate pothos from a leaf?
- Why is my pothos cutting not rooting?
Troubleshooting pothos plants
Here are some help guides for common pothos plant problems!
- Why are my pothos leaves turning yellow?
- Why is my pothos droopy?
- Why is my pothos turning brown?
- Why is my pothos leggy?
- How to make pothos grow bigger leaves
- Why is my pothos plant not growing new leaves?
Shop pothos essentials
Here are some of my favorite pothos accessories!
Pothos plants on Etsy
Pots for pothos plants
Be sure to download our free printable pothos care guide!
Printable Pothos Plant Care Guide
Join the (free!) KeepYourPlantsAlive+ community to access this exclusive printable plant care guide! Or keep scrolling for more!