Pothos cuttings not growing roots? I hate that! Let’s diagnose the most common reasons that your pothos not rooting!
So, if your pothos isn’t rooting, you might feel like a disappointed loser.
Have no fear, I bet we can figure out the problem and solve it together!
Other pothos content you might enjoy:
- Golden pothos care guide
- Cebu Blue pothos care guide
- Baltic Blue pothos care guide
- Marble Queen pothos care guide
- Global Green pothos care guide
- Neon pothos care guide
- NJoy Pothos Care Guide
- Why are my pothos leaves turning yellow?
- Why are my pothos leaves turning brown?
- Why is my pothos plant not growing leaves?
- Why are my pothos cuttings rotting
- How to move pothos from water to soil
- Should I mist my pothos?
- How to make pothos fuller
- Can you propagate pothos without a leaf?
- Can you propagate pothos from a leaf?
- Can you propagate a long pothos vine?
- Where to cut pothos for propagation
- Pothos vs Snake plants: which is better for beginners?
- Cebu Blue Pothos vs Baltic Blue Pothos
- How to propagate pothos
- How to propagate golden pothos
- How to propagate a satin pothos
- How to propagate pothos in soil
- How often to water pothos plants
- How to care for variegated pothos
- How to revive a dying pothos plant
- Why are my Pothos leaves curling?
- How to identify and treat common pothos pests
- How to divide pothos plant
- How to make pothos grow bigger leaves
- Why does my pothos only have one vine?
- Can you grow pothos in low light conditions?
- How to cut off dead pothos leaves
- Are pothos plants toxic to cats and dogs?
- Can you grow pothos in water?
- Why is my pothos droopy?
- Why is my pothos plant dropping leaves?
Printable Pothos Plant Care Guide
Join the (free!) KeepYourPlantsAlive+ community to access this exclusive printable plant care guide! Or keep scrolling for more!
Why is my pothos not rooting?
There are a few reasons that your pothos cuttings might not be rooting:
- Your cutting doesn’t have a node
- Your cuttings are unhealthy
- It hasn’t been long enough
- Your water is dirty
- Your cuttings are too long
- The cutting dried out
- They aren’t getting enough light
Your cutting doesn’t have a node
Can you propagate pothos without a node? No! Pothos cuttings require a node to root. A node is the bump where leaves and roots grow.
No node, no roots. You can’t root just a leaf with no stem.
Take a new cutting and try again.
Your cuttings are unhealthy
It is important to take cuttings from healthy portions of your plant, preferably spots with new growth.
If you take a cutting off a sad withered branch, or worse, try to propagate a piece that fell off half dead, you aren’t going to have much luck.
It hasn’t been long enough
You have to have a certain level of patience – roots don’t form over night.
How long does it take pothos cuttings to root? It can take 2 months for roots to really form on pothos cuttings in water.
How do I make my pothos root faster? You can apply rooting hormone to speed up the rooting process. Make sure it has clean water and plenty of indirect sunlight!
Your water is dirty
Dirty water is not conducive to root growth. Change your water when it gets foggy or looks dirty for best results at growing happy root systems.
Your cuttings are too long
Cuttings need energy to make roots. If the cutting has too many leaves – or even too long of stem – it will spend its limited energy keeping those alive instead of on growing roots.
I love a long cutting for the potential of a new big baby plant, but it’s better to cut it into sections and root them each separately.
The cutting dried out
Unlike succulents, you don’t let pothos cuttings dry or callous over before rooting them. Keep them moist at all times to get root growth when rooting in water.
If your water runs low or you kept the cutting out of water before putting it in, it could be too late, too dry, too sad for root growth.
They aren’t getting enough light
Just like a baby plant, cuttings need bright indirect light to grow. They need that solar energy to put into the root growth! Consider moving them to a sunnier spot to encourage your rooted pothos.
Any more questions about why your pothos isn’t rooting?
Thanks for reading!
Hey there, I’m Morgan, a houseplant enthusiast from sunny Charleston, South Carolina. Growing up surrounded by my mom’s lush orchids and African violets, I discovered the magic of bringing nature indoors. Thanks to the pandemic, I delved deeper into houseplants, discovering their power to uplift moods and transform spaces. I’m here to spill all my secrets, helping you pick the perfect houseplant – and make it happy. Let’s keep your plants alive, together! 😊