Looking for pet-safe house plants? Let’s talk about are umbrella plants safe for pets and what you need to do if your pet is exposed.
Umbrella plants are super popular houseplants. They have a tree shape and tropical leaves in clusters of 8, making them a beautiful addition to any houseplant collection.
The umbrella plant is also known as:
- Octopus tree
- Australian ivy palm
- Parasol plant
If you have any of these plants and have pets, you need to keep reading! It’s important that you are aware of the toxicity of umbrella plants to pets.
Check out all of my umbrella plant content:
- Umbrella plant care guide
- How to propagate an umbrella plant
- Why is my umbrella plant dying?!
- Are umbrella plants toxic?
- When to repot an umbrella plant
- Can an umbrella plant live outdoors?
- Why is my umbrella plant dropping leaves?
- Why is my umbrella tree turning black?
- Why is my umbrella plant getting yellow leaves?
- Why are my umbrella plant leaves turning brown?
- Why does my umbrella plant have sticky leaves?
- Why is my umbrella plant wilting?!
Printable Umbrella Plant care guide
Join the (free!) KeepYourPlantsAlive+ community to access this exclusive printable plant care guide! Once you sign up, you can right click & save the JPG care guide. Or keep scrolling for more!
Are umbrella plants safe for pets?
Umbrella plants are toxic to cats and dogs and are not pet safe houseplants.
All parts of this plant has insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, saponins and terpenoids which is an irritant to pets.
Is schefflera plant toxic to cats?
Yes – all parts of umbrella plants are toxic to cats.
Are umbrella plant toxic to dogs?
Yes – all parts of Schefflera plants are toxic to dogs.
What happens if a pet eats an umbrella plant?
Umbrella plants are definitely toxic if eaten. Eating the plant will cause irritation where ever it touches – so, in the mouth and throat area.
This can cause:
- swelling of the mouth and face
- swelling of the esophagus (could lead to difficulty breathing)
- pawing at the mouth and face
- upset stomach
- itchy skin
If you think that your pet ate an umbrella plant, I advise you to call your vet’s helpline immediately. It’s not necessarily a full crisis – depending on how much they ate and the size of your pet – but you should seek professional medical advice for a risk assessment and steps to take.
Vets may perform blood work, urinalysis, and a biochemistry profile on your pet to determine exactly how the toxins have effected them.
What happens if a pet touches an umbrella plant?
Brushing the leaves of your plant should not cause a major issue, but, if there is a broken stem or leaf, it could have exposed sap, which is the main irritant. In this case, it could cause itchy skin and irritation.
If you think that your pet was exposed to this, consider giving them a bath and definitely keep an eye on them to be sure they don’t start acting strange.
Where should I put an umbrella plant in my house?
If you have pets (or small kids!) You want to keep your umbrella plant on a high shelf that your pets will not be able to get to.
Keep in mind if you have a cat that jumps, it might not even be safe on a shelf. Be realistic about your circumstances. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Any questions about umbrella plants and pets?